Tuesday, June 1, 2021

great spotted, cheep, singular, diy, sighting, the bird has flown

 

I was alerted to the great spotted woodpecker's nest on the edge of the village by a friend in mid-May.

Although I couldn't see any sign of the chicks at that stage, I could hear them (link below).

At least I thought it sounded like there was more than one. Recently, though, the cheeping got louder and singular. How disturbing the natural world can be!

Looking at the hole, I began to wonder whether chicks ever got too big to get out... But then I suspected I was imposing my own DIY and construction skills. The woodpeckers have it covered.

Yesterday, I caught sight of the chick.

This morning the nest was silent and I imagine it has flown!

--

Listen to Great spotted woodpecker chicks.m4a by Frank Egerton on #SoundCloud

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/6rWQQ

No comments:

Post a Comment